Sunday, April 19, 2020

The new normal

How are your self-isolation measures going? In the last week there’s been growing unrest down in the US, and increasing demands to open up for business again. Up here in BC we seem to have escaped relatively lightly, with strong public awareness of and support for the need for caution, but without the more stringent measures many countries have adopted.

Of course, schools, pubs, restaurants and many business are closed. But much of life continues, albeit in considerably altered form. Ali is home, but helping her students through remote one-on-one tuition. Grocery stores are essential businesses, so Megan is still working in the bakery. Matthew, of course, is in his element. He spends his days gaming online with friends and this is just an extended summer for him.

My office is still open. Although most of our services are online, we take in mail and couriered documents, and for some things there is no online alternative. So although we have a full complement working remotely there is a skeleton staff still physically present, and it’s important for at least one or two of the leadership team to be present for moral support. But the office is a ghost town these days. On a typical day there might be half a dozen of us there, in an office that is normally buzzing with seventy or more people.

I can mostly work from home, but I find I work better in the office. The mental switch that comes with the change in scenery is important for me, as is access to printer, scanner, and a handful of physical files. So I’m commuting in most days, and enjoying the silver lining of little traffic on the roads.

Many people in the branch are enjoying working from home, and even report better concentration and productivity. The government IT infrastructure has had a real workout these past weeks. Still some network capacity challenges, but they are still making improvements.

Grocery shopping is getting more organized. There are subtle changes each week. They’ve improved the one-way system around the aisles, especially through the produce section, and put up more screens at the tills to separate lines of customers so now they can open all the checkouts again instead of every second lane. The line-ups are manageable and the store has been fairly quiet the last couple of weeks, even on a Saturday morning.

And I noticed they even had toilet paper on the shelves this week. Things must be looking up!

Finally, I also managed to buy art supplies this week. I’m completing a major round of edits on The Long Dark and am looking ahead to cover art. The art store is closed to foot traffic, of course, but they are taking orders by phone. The store is just a couple of blocks away from my office, so I was able to pop out and collect my order that same day.

4 comments:

Stella Telleria said...

Glad you're doing well. I have been back at work for the last 5 days after being in quarantine for 2 weeks. It's been harder than expected to get back into work mode when I'd been in a very productive writing/editing mode. But all is well, and I count myself so luck that I work in an industry that's still going right now. My heart goes out to everyone laid-off or struggling right now.

Botanist said...

Hi Stella, glad things are going well for you, and that quarantine ended with you both well. We also are lucky that the three of us in the family who work, are all employed in essential services.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - glad all is well ... and I guess the travelling in and out on easy roads makes that part of life a pleasure. Walking around on empty roads is easy going too - plenty of space to avoid people.

I have long arms from walking back with shopping - but the bus was there today so I hopped aboard for a free ride back ... hoping nothing yugghy happened while on it!

Chilly east wind ... but at least sunny ... and all well - managing quite happily. Good to know you all are too - with thoughts to you and Ali - stay safe - enjoy the painting ... glad you could get those materials. Hilary

Botanist said...

Hilary, you stay safe too. The buses here have been made free, to limit the need for interaction between drivers and passengers, but I suspect many people are still leery of traveling on them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...