Saturday, April 4, 2020

An introvert’s paradox

Social distancing is a phrase nobody had heard of a few weeks ago, but it’s the order of the day now.

You would think that these times would be ideal for a profound introvert like me. How wrong you’d be!

I use the Myers-Briggs definition of introversion, which means that social interactions take energy from me, rather than me being energized by them as an extrovert would. In other words, dealing with other people is tiring. I need quiet time to recharge before I become too drained to function.

But that does not mean dealing with other people is unpleasant. In fact, paradoxically, I find that being around others is essential to my mental health. I just need to manage the balance.

I liken it to exercise. A lot of people enjoy exercise, and it’s necessary for physical health. But you need to expend energy along the way and you can’t keep it up indefinitely. Other people’s company is my mental exercise.

And without it, without a certain level of ad-hoc in-person interaction and simply being around other people, I am starting to feel the effects.

How are you all doing out there? How is social distancing affecting your lives?

5 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - know what you mean ... I'm happy being quiet - yet too much is too much. I've got lots on my list of 'to do' things ... so this time will help hugely. Living in the town my walks take me around and about the same distance to the sea - so at least I can view the world out there. My intent is to be structured and get on with things ... so many others are worse off, or in a much worse world scenario. I must say blogging keeps me in touch ... and again gives me something sensible to do ... so I'll keep posting ... lots of visits planned for when it's all over ... when is the question. My connectivity isn't easy - too many others using it ... but I'm fine. Take care of you and the family - all the best - Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

People are exhausting all right.
I never thought about dealing with them as mental exercise. Unfortunately, I'm still going to work, so I haven't felt the effect of a lack of people just yet. Except for my church family - I do miss them.

Botanist said...

Hilary, I have no shortage of things to do, either. Not that I have any extra free time, our office is still open, but the forced isolation is certainly wearing thin. Hope you are staying safe and well.

Alex, it hadn't occurred to me to think of it as exercise either, I just felt the parallel was with something that takes energy yet can be enjoyed and is necessary for health. Church congregations must be feeling it, but I'm glad you're being sensible about large gatherings nonetheless.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Interesting. My husband and I have always been raging extroverts, but we're perfectly happy being housebound. In fact, not having to go the cancer center every day makes us ecstatic. The only thing that bothers us about being isolated is not being able to travel to see our grandchildren, but that's been the case for quite a while now. But, in due time, we will. In the meantime, we're content to do our own thing. Take care.

Botanist said...

Susan, so we have introverts suffering in isolation, and extroverts perfectly content. The world is full of surprises! Glad to hear you're taking things in your stride.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...