Whether or not it’s an accurate portrayal of writing life, it certainly sounds like a pleasant way to spend an hour or two.
This week I took a couple of days off work. No particular reason, just have some vacation time that I need to take this year and a couple of days free in my calendar, so an opportunity for a bit of down time. This morning I had a handful of errands to run, and I decided to round it off with a visit to a nearby coffee shop, laptop in hand. Just out of curiosity.
- Yes, it was a pleasant way to spend an hour.
- The place was fairly busy, and I had wondered if that would be a distraction. As it turned out, that wasn’t an issue. I guess I pay more attention to noises around the house than when I’m elsewhere.
- It was a productive hour, but no more so than when I put on my headphones and am on a roll.
- By the end of an hour, I was more than ready to leave. I’m not the sort of person who’ll sit there for hours on end.
- It was good to get a change of scenery. I sometimes find that valuable in itself ... taking my laptop to the library, or to a picnic table in a park or by a beach.
OK, I can’t pretend that was a bucket list item, but at least I can say ... writer writing in coffee shop? Yep, done that :)