I got a double dose of this first one: eleven random questions.
First, Jen Burke at Jen's Bookshelf posed the following:
1. What is the one book you couldn’t live without?
What a stinker of a question to start off with, Jen! To pick any one book would do a disservice to all the rest. But if I had to pick one, I think it would be Codex Seraphinianus, because it's just the weirdest, most unique book I've ever come across.
2. What can you see out your window at the moment?
3. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
The dish that was billed as "sweet and sour pork" served up at dinner on my third day at university. All us newbies wondered why none of the second and third year students bothered with dinner that day. We soon learned!
4. What fictional character would you most like to marry?
Probably Eowyn, from LOTR. Any gal who can stand up to a Nazgul has my vote.
5. If ever a fictional villain was going to win, who would you want it to be?
Shylock. I think he got a raw deal.
6. How many types of cheese can you name off the top of your head?
I just rattled off fourteen before I started running out of ideas, but I bet I could name a lot more if I wrote them down.
7. If you didn’t want to be a writer, what would you want to be?
8. Can you play a musical instrument?
Not really. I am teaching myself a few tunes on the piano. Actually, as it's an electric keyboard with lots of settings, I guess I could say I can play at least fifty instruments, couldn't I?
9. Do you own a Kindle or a Nook or any sort of e-reader?
10. If you do, how many books do you have on it?
11. You just got published. In a glowing review, someone calls you “the next [insert famous author name here]”. Which famous author has to watch their back now you’re on the scene?
Then Melissa, at Melissa's Imaginarium tagged me with the following:
1. Do you experience road rage or commuter rage if you don't own a car?
Sure. Ever been cut off when you're riding a bike?
2. What do you do when you're rolling along in an argument and realize you're wrong?
I try not to get into those kinds of arguments in the first place! Although I do have some strong views, I am quite content to be proved wrong and to learn something new. I find the best way to avoid digging myself into a hole like this is to go in with questions rather than statements, in a spirit of exploration. I do, however, make a strong distinction between facts, which I could be wrong about, and beliefs or preferences, which by definition are not open to challenge.
3. Cookies or cookie dough?
4. Movie quote that best sums up your current situation.
If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been. (Sam Gamgee, LOTR)
5. What pet peeve drives you homicide crazy?
People not pulling their weight. Especially so-called "celebrity" socialites who add nothing of any worth to the world.
6. What was the most outrageous lie you ever told that someone believed?
After a student riot between neighboring colleges at university, I had to answer some questions by the Dean. My room at that time overlooked the street, and he asked if I'd seen any flour or water bombs being thrown from our side of the street. I said, "No," despite the fact that I had been one of the ones doing the throwing!
7. What guilty pleasure movie or CD people would be shocked you own?
I don't think I own anything that would shock anyone. Does that shock you?
8. When was the last time you went to the movies alone and what did you see?
You have got to be kidding me! I can't remember that far back! Let's see, it might have been Star Wars, or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, both back in the 70s.
9. What item did you have to have, but had huge buyer's remorse after purchase?
Practically every pair of pants I've bought in the past few years, where I kid myself that my waist hasn't grown that much yet, only to be proved wrong after wearing them to work for a day.
10. Favorite condiment
11. If you could bar none get away with it, would you have some illegal fun?
No. My hyperactive guilt centre would get in the way.
And now, if anyone wants to play, please leave a note in the comments so I can visit and see your answers, and here's my 11 questions:
1. What was your favorite movie of 2011?
2. If you had to spend the rest of your life on another planet, what single item from Earth would you take with you?
3. Sweet or savory?
4. Do you ever get so mad at a book that you throw it against the wall?
5. Mathematics: art or science?
6. What is your favorite animal?
7. What is the longest you've ever been without taking a bath or a shower?
8. What profession would you like to consign to the pit of oblivion?
9. When did you last go for a cycle ride?
10. If you are a writer, have you ever written someone from real life into one of your stories?
11. Are there any pieces of music that can bring tears to your eyes?