Thursday, March 8, 2012

Little rays of sunshine

Ever get those days when several entirely unrelated things pop up out of the blue in quick succession? Sometimes it's bad things, and life just sucks. Then, sometimes it's little rays of sunshine that make you smile and life is good.

Yesterday evening was one of the latter.

First, I got home to an email from an old friend who I've not heard from for eighteen months.

Then, the wonderful Jenny at Pearson Report dropped me a note to say I've won some fantastic digital artwork for taking part in her A to Z Blogging Challenge tag game. Jenny is one of the co-hosts for this year's challenge. Go and check out her blog, and maybe sign up for the challenge. I'm in, and I'll talk more about it later on in the month.

Finally, I've had a snippet of a tune running through my head for the past week which I've been trying to place. I knocked out a few bars on the piano - my rough approximation from a rather patchy memory - and drove Ali mad also. We've been scratching our heads ever since.

Then, last night, on TV someone started playing the piano. "That's it!" I said. A quick search through the program credits and we had it: Bach's Well Tempered Clavier.



I also realised that my memory was slightly off. All I could recall was the rising sequence of notes, and I'm happy to say I got the notes themselves right, but I thought it was a repeating sequence 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4, when it was actually 1-2-3-4-5-3-4-5.

Well, I was close.

15 comments:

Pearson Report said...

Hi Botanist! Thanks for the shout out! I'm going to the post office tomorrow and mailing your winnings! I had dinner with my daughter this evening and she is very excited to hear her art is taking a little trip!!

Also...I listened to the music - lovely. Did you know that in German "Klavier" is the word for piano. So, that's Bach's Well Tempered Piano I was listening too!!

Jenny @ Pearson Report
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes you did win! Saw that on her blog.

Lindsey R. Loucks said...

Isn't it wonderful when life decides to be pleasant? Have a happy weekend!

Botanist said...

Jenny, I didn't know that. In English, clavier could apply to any keyboard instrument and I assumed this piece was originally written for harpsichord. I think the piano was still a fairly new instrument at the time this was written.

Hi Alex, thanks for dropping by!

Lindsey, it's good when it happens like that. Here's hoping it lasts a while :) Have a good weekend too.

klahanie said...

Hey Ian,
Congrats for that. But, oh no, not you as well. Anyway, such a 'challenge' that brings further awareness of the alphabet, can't be all bad :)
It's a great way to meet new bloggers and an awesome way for those who started it to get further recognition of themselves. Excellent!
Have a great weekend and have fun.
In kindness, Gary

Sarah Tokeley said...

I love days like that! And the music is beautiful, thank you.

unikorna said...

Can you please throw over the ocean one frigging ray of sunshine cause I am crawled deep down a whole and I don't ever wanna come out:(.

Botanist said...

Yes, Gary, I succumbed this year :)

Sarah, it doesn't happen often but it's great when it does.

Unikorna, I'm sad that you're sad. I know you have a lot going on in your life, and the awful winter doesn't help. I'm sure spring is around the corner though.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

And sometimes those little rays of sunshine come on the days they are MOST needed!

Heather Henry said...

Hooray, for rays of sunshine and the beauty that comes with it. Congrats on all counts. I would love to see more of your artwork. And you play the piano too, you are just all kinds of talented. :)
Beautiful piece. I love piano music.
I hope the sun continues to shine on you. Have a lovely day! :)

Botanist said...

Isn't that the truth, Karen!

Heather, I do not even pretend to be able to play the piano! The best I can do is potter around a bit. Having said that, I found some sheet music for this piece and am getting on quite well with it. It's a delight to play. I hope things are continuing well in your neck o'the woods :)

Kimberlee Turley said...

Identifying classical music is much harder than remembering a song from the radio with lyrics. It's like how do you look up note sequences on the internet?

Beautiful song, thanks for sharing it!

Denise Covey said...

Glad you're in the A-Z. I am too and have a great theme happening. Hope you'll check out some of my posts as I will yours.

I just see you have my L'Aussie Fair Dinkum Award! You must be a Fair Dinkum guy!

Denise

Botanist said...

Kimberlee, that's true. If you can remember just a few words of the lyrics you have a fighting chance. When all you have is a tune it's a lot harder. But I've heard there's even an app for that!

Denise, I will certainly try to keep tabs on the blogs I follow next month. I have a feeling that will become as much of a challenge as the actual posting!

Mark said...

Uplifting post! I'll check out Jenny's blog too:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...