Sunday, December 29, 2019

What’s in a name?

When I’m writing, I place a lot of importance in names. People, places, ships, technology ... I find myself at a standstill until I choose the right-sounding names for them. And once chosen, they stick.

I’m starting in on editing The Long Dark. Alongside the small localized edits - typos and clarity issues - there are a few strands of heavier revisions. A couple of stories to flesh out more fully, and a significant re-structuring of the opening scenes. And all weekend I’ve been grappling with one of the major character’s names.

I hadn’t noticed until critique partners pointed it out, but two of my major characters had very similar names and that was causing confusion. I hadn’t spotted it because the characters themselves were so distinct in my own mind, so whenever I wrote a scene with one of them I knew exactly who I was talking about. But once I was made aware of it from a reader’s perspective, I realized this was going to be an issue.

One of them had to change.

This is a first for me.

I knew immediately which one it had to be, and oddly enough I found I wasn’t truly wedded to the name I’d been using for an entire novel. That was another first. Normally I choose names with such care that I can’t see them as anything else. Clearly not in this case.

But what to change it to?

That was a tougher problem. I tried out a number of possibilities but wasn’t happy with them. I thought I’d chosen one, and went as far as substituting it in a few chapters. I read and re-read them, trying to settle into the new name, but it didn’t quite click.

It was starting to feel a bit like the scene in Mrs. Doubtfire where Robin Williams’s character is trying on a series of personas for his invented housekeeper.

Finally I hit on one which seems to work. It’s got some of the same sound as the original, but is very distinct from the other character that was causing confusion. I’ve now gone through the whole manuscript with a careful find & replace, and I think we’re there now.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you found a name that worked.
I guess I'm not that picky with names. I randomly generate a bunch and then dole them out to the characters.

Botanist said...

Alex, I've sometimes produced lists of randomly-generated names, although usually for places rather than characters. Even then, I can't just dole them out, I have to pick ones from the list that have the right sound for that particular need.

Rick Ellrod said...

I'm also one who has to get the right name for a character or other thing -- though that doesn't mean there can only be One True Name. (Maybe I should say, to get *a* right name.)

Something with a similar sound, but distinct enough to avoid the original problem, does seem to help. I once named a character "Raina" and when I found myself writing "Raina and Dana," I realized that wouldn't do. But I changed "Raina" to "Renee," similar component sounds and spelling but quite different accent and effect -- and that satisfied my name-sense perfectly.

Botanist said...

Rick, that all makes sense, and your switch is similar to the one I made, keeping the middle consonant sound, except I also kept the end sound and padded it out to 3 instead of 2 syllables.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - I do hate reading novels where the name doesn't gel ... but can see changing names, once done is fine, but the decision and edits add time to the writing process.

So pleased you've done it ... and 2020 can progress happily along ... good luck for the rest of the year - cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Hilary, I'm still getting used to the new name, but I think it was the right move.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...