Sunday, September 1, 2019

Curry night

Every once in a while, we invite a few friends around for a meal. Sometimes it’s after they’ve dropped subtle hints along the lines of “when are you going to cook us another curry?”

For some reason, people seem to like my curries. I make no pretense at any kind of authenticity, but it is something I’ve always enjoyed cooking since I first started cooking for myself roughly hmpprhpp mumble mumble years ago.

So yesterday out came the spices and half the pans in the kitchen cupboard. I should have taken a “before” photo, too, to show the mountain of sliced and chopped onions and tomatoes, all heaped on chopping boards arranged by dish, ready to cook. But here is the end result snapped before we ferried the dishes outside to the deck. Luckily we had a fine day evening after a gloomy spell earlier.


From left to right, and front to back, we have:
Creamy chicken curry
Chicken Jalfrezi
Curried shrimp and spinach
Chana Masala
Rice
Naan
Puppodums with minted yoghurt and chutney

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very impressive! Looks like out of a restaurant. Not a fan of curried dishes, but I'd certainly want to try all of yours.
And yes, a before picture would've been just as impressive.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I can see why your friends love a curry night at your house. I really enjoy curry, but it's not as common in the U.S. as it is in your part of the country. I heard once that the best Indian food can be found in Great Britain due to the best of the best Indian cooks have survived the competition among Indian restaurants there.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - looks delicious - wish I'd been there. I'd love the variations you've chosen ... looks so good - glad it's supper time or near enough here ... I might have indigestion now as I'm listening to Brexit interests!! Fun ... I'm quite glad I'm home - but it's stressful ... cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Alex, curry isn't to everyone's taste, but we are huge fans, especially having been brought up in British culture :)

Karen, I don't know how British restaurants compare to genuine Indian cuisine, but it is definitely good. Not yet found anything comparable this side of the Atlantic.

Hilary, the Brexit saga goes on and on!

Denise Covey said...

Oooh, yummy. Nothing like a great curry.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Your spread of food looks delicious! We ate in an authentic Indian restaurant one time, and I wasn't very impressed with the food. I ordered a dish with spinach, lamb, and mushrooms in it. I figured, what's not to like, right? But it came to me looking like a bowl of pureed baby food. It tasted pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the texture. But YOUR food looks fantastic. Much better than anything I saw around our huge table at the Indian restaurant. I do love the taste of curry, so if I lived near you, I'd probably be one of those people bugging you about when you might be having another curry dinner. :)

Botanist said...

Denise, my thoughts exactly!

Susan, and you would be most welcome, too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...