Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It's official: I'm a FREAK

And I'm still dealing with the shock.

The absolutely amazing Jennifer Hillier held a contest on her blog recently. The challenge was to write something, in no more than 150 words, that would make her cringe.

This is Jennifer Hillier, the successful author who writes psychological thrillers that scare the pants of hardened reviewers. I write soft sci-fi. What the heck do I know about creepy horror-like stuff?

My first thought was, "Sounds fun, must check out the entries later." Note: Nowhere here was there any thought of actually entering! That's for other people.

For starters, it meant coming up with an idea, and ideas, for me, arrive with all the speed of a glacier. You can name geological epochs after the time intervals between my story ideas.

Nevertheless, a germ of an idea arrived, got fleshed out, and entered.

And won.

I am still in shock because (a) No writing of mine has ever won anything before, and (b) The quality of the competition was high. Just look at all the stunning entries here.

So, a big THANK YOU to Jennifer for making my week.

If you don't know her, head over to her blog, check out the contest, and say a big HELLO.

11 comments:

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Congrats on the win! This would have been fun, but I don't get around much anymore. lol

unikorna said...

Congrats Ian you already know I have a huge admiration for your words :). Enjoy the 50 bucks and to many more prizes...of the kind.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Can we expect your next book to be a chilling, grisly, horrific story?

David Batista said...

Great news! And you're so lucky you'll get to read the new novel early. So envious! Jen's a great gal, though, and she knows how to weed out the winners. So I'm not surprised at all. :)

Botanist said...

Thanks Wendy & unikorna.

Delores, somehow I think not :) I admit I kill off a lot of people, so I guess my story is grisly, but I just don't do chilling.

That is true, David, Jen is great. I was surprised not to see something from you there, you've done some pretty chilling stuff.

Lindsey R. Loucks said...

Super awesome! Congratulations!

David Batista said...

Well, as you know, I don't do contests. :) But thanks for the compliment. Sometimes my writing does favor the "dark side" of things, eh?

Jennifer Hillier said...

I'm so flattered you're flattered! But you shouldn't be, you wrote a REALLY AWESOME story and I'm blown away that you did it just for my contest. How incredible is that? I'm proud to have it on my blog. :)

klahanie said...

Hi Ian,
That's awesome, my friend. However, I'm not surprised that you won. And that's very nice of Jennifer to acknowledge you via a comment.
I shall duly check it out. And um lucky you, Jennifer, you will have shy, humble and unassuming me, visit your wondrous blog :)
Great stuff, Ian. On a side note, I have not forgotten the award you bestowed upon me. I shall be noting it in an upcoming posting.
Take care eh and have a wonderful weekend on Vancouver Island.
Gary

Botanist said...

Lindsey: Thanks.

Jennifer: Awww...I'm blushing now :)

Gary: No worries, I reckon you must need a database to track all the awards your wonderful blog gets :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian .. well done - your story was freakishly worrying .. glad it wasn't me dangling .. or that rather nasty female ..

Excellent you'll be getting a copy of Jennifer's book ..

Cheers Hilary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...