Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Hello 2021

Okay, half the year has passed, and I’ve been largely absent from blogging. It’s been a tough spell. 

Nothing singly too bad, not even all bad in fact, but a lot going on that gets overwhelming at times. We’ve all had brushes with varying levels of health irregularities at times, and we’ve had to support each other through various workplace dramas. 

I largely try to ignore, or at least not get too distressed by, world events. Politics south of the border is still a shitshow, and the pandemic is under control in some countries but still wreaking havoc in others. Closer to home we are reeling from the unmarked graves coming to light at old residential schools. Nobody with a shred of human compassion can fail to be moved by the horrors inflicted on thousands of children over the course of many decades. 

All this has left me disinclined to engage with the world at large this year. 

On the upside, there are rays of sunshine at home and at work, and things are largely stable and happy in our little circle. We’ve all had our first vaccine jab and will soon have our second. Restrictions are relaxing and we might get to go out for a meal in the near future. 

On the writing front, I managed to get the paperback of The Long Dark published back in January, and since then I’ve been wrestling with the first draft of Wrath of Empire. But more of that (hopefully) in future posts.

6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - am glad you and the family are getting through and life generally is stable and happy - despite the world's woes. Congratulations on getting 'The Long Dark' Published and now starting your 'Wrath of Empire' ...

I've seen the number of unmarked graveyards being found near residential schools - desperate times for those families ... and how much knowledge has been lost through those decisions.

Stay safe and all the best to you both ... Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's horrible about graves and the schools.
Yup, it continues to be a political shitshow here. People, you got what you voted for!
Hope you can get out for a meal. Crap, we've been far worse than you guys and mostly open during a lot of it. (I think our crappy governor was smart enough to realize all hell would break loose if he didn't keep easing restrictions.)

Botanist said...

Hilary, those schools were a calculated attempt to eradicate an entire culture, at whatever cost. It makes me sick to my stomach that my European forebears felt they had a right to do such a thing.

Alex, there is probably a link there between the fact that you were mostly open and how severely the pandemic took hold. It always amazes me how similar US and Canadian culture looks on the outside, yet how vastly different the attitudes are to personal freedoms versus social responsibility.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It has been tough for so many of us. Dare I say, all of us at some level. Even with easing of restrictions.

dolorah said...

If I was allowed to self-isolate and not go to work I might have at least written something during the last year. Shame on me, I keep finding excuses not to work on my writing. Congrats to you for getting a book published, and another started.

Take care; the world is coming back to life, and not always in a positive way.

Botanist said...

Lynda, the last year has been tough for everyone, no doubt about that!

Donna, I'm lucky in that a lot in my life hasn't changed too much, and regular writing has been an integral part of my day for years so it's an ingrained habit now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...