Saturday, May 11, 2019

Breaking the Block

While I’m taking a breather from The Long Dark, waiting for the first part to get critiqued, I’ve turned my attention back to another small project that I aim to complete this summer.

A short e-book, Breaking the Block, looks systematically at a range of causes of writer’s block, and suggests possible remedies.

I’ve tried to pack the booklet with examples and practical tips, but the theme running through it is that writer’s block is not in itself an ailment, but simply the visible symptom of some deeper underlying cause.

It often seems to me that writers feel helpless when the words stop flowing, and they believe they have to wait for inspiration or for the right mood to strike. My belief is that the problem can be tackled more proactively, you just need some ideas on where to look for the source of the blockage before you can bring the right countermeasures to bear.

Even if you don’t find a specific tip in the booklet that helps you in your own situation, I think it helps to adopt the mindset that writer’s block is not some amorphous ailment of the writerly mind. Instead of feeling helpless, understand that somewhere there is a specific cause that can be overcome once you’ve shone a spotlight on it.


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I will definitely pick up that book when you publish it!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - your ideas are always cleverly presented ... and so many writer's have a 'dreadful block' that comes along. Good luck with getting it out there ... cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Alex, hope you find it useful!

Hilary, those are the folks I'd like to help.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds good! And I agree with you, For me, I never think of it as a block. Sometimes, I just don't feel like writing! (gasp!)

Botanist said...

Susan, I get that, too, and finding the motivation (and avoiding a whole load of other mental obstacles) is a big part of the booklet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...