Saturday, August 25, 2018

My daughter thinks I’m a British spy

And apparently all her friends are also convinced I’m a spy.

Seems it stemmed from her being consistently unable to tell her friends what I do for a living. And I can understand her difficulty because, apart from my job title (Director of Application Management) I find it hard to describe what I actually do.

This has always been a problem, when we used to have more regular family dinners and rounds of “what did you do today”. Trying to describe what I did today in a way that would make sense to anyone is nigh-on impossible without sending everyone to sleep. I blogged about this a few years ago here.

That was a typical day back then. Things are not often as hectic now, but still hard to wrap your head around unless you understand the IT world, so my stock answer to that dinnertime question has always been “meetings”.

As a result, this sense of mystery evolved into speculation that I must be involved in something clandestine for the government, and speculation that we moved from England to Canada because we had to flee the country in secret.

I guess it doesn’t help that all her friends also know I write stories about undercover agents, assassins, and plots and intrigues. How would I know all that stuff unless I was a spy? Hint: I don’t, it’s all a big bluff!

Still, it came as a bit of a shock to think that she honestly thought her balding, middle-aged daddy, cultivating a food baby, might have a dark secret life.

And I almost think she was serious, too!

9 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - what fun ... I thought of her today - re a bread I saw ... I'll post the image through in a day or two.

I can see her problem though and her friends' challenges ... as a friend I wonder what you do, and now having met you twice - once after work, but author related, and then to meet you and the family en famille ... and know that you spend your time in battleships dreaming up war games - it is really interesting!! Meetings - ah ... I get it now ... no wonder your daughter hasn't a clue!! As long as you do - I guess we're alright?! Cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Hilary, most of my time is spent overseeing the work of others ... helping, advising, guiding ... I see my main job as setting up the right conditions for others to do their jobs well. So most of my work is done through talking to other people, hence all the meetings.

Chrys Fey said...

I can see where "meetings" could lead to you being a spy. lol

Rick Ellrod said...

lol -- love it!

Yes -- it's especially hard to describe some jobs, in terms a kid will understand.

Botanist said...

Chrys, to be honest, I hadn't even thought of that connection. It was just the mysteriousness of it all, but I can see what you mean!

Rick, some things are hard to explain.

David Batista said...

Reads exactly like a blog post a SPY would write to cover up his tracks. I think your daughter might be on to something! :)

Botanist said...

Darn it, David, you sussed my evil plan for world domination! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

HA! Maybe she DID (does?) seriously believe you're a spy. I thought my brother was. After he retired from the Marines, he kinda fell off the face of the earth. He was on the Marine's competitive shooting team prior to retirement, so I knew he had certain skills. Then he stopped responding to my parents' letters. My mother even contacted the police in his last-known location to see if they could find him. I got cards from him occasionally, but only signed with a "Love, Ron" and no return address. Then... nothing at all. Long story short, I finally re-connected with him, and he thought it was hilarious that I'd thought he was working for some clandestine organization. The REAL story is even funnier, though... :)

Botanist said...

Susan, you tease! You're going to have to blog about the REAL story now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...