Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Promotion

Now that the second installment of Shayla’s misadventures is out there, I’m branching out for the first time into some actual promotion.

Yeah, this is new territory for me. The very thought of selling and advertising affects me like fingernails on chalkboards.

A whole screeching symphony of them.

*Shudders*

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see a little interest in my work beyond the occasional sale once in a while, and to do that I need to be more active in my promotional activities. So I’m going to try out a few of the paid promotion sites.

When I started researching this avenue I had no idea how many of them there were out there. Bookbub, probably the best known, is out of my reach just yet. By all accounts they are very picky and expect dozens of reviews on Amazon before they’ll even look at you. I also suspect that some sites are more effective than others in generating sales, and some are to be avoided. I’ve tried to research by reading up on authors’ experiences and looking for some consensus on results.

So far I’ve signed up for an entry in Bargain Booksy later this month, and have submitted to Ereader News Today (which may or may not get accepted). And I’m looking into at least one or two more sites to try over the coming weeks. I’ll let you all know how things turn out.

These kinds of promotions seem to work best when they are associated with a discounted price. My efforts therefore will be directed at Ghosts of Innocence, in the hope that readers who enjoy it might follow on and pick up The Ashes of Home.

Ghosts of Innocence will be reduced from $3.99 to just $0.99 in all e-book markets from mid-April through to mid-June.

Fingers crossed :)

6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - good luck, but feedback will be interesting ... take care and all the best - cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Hilary, I'm curious to see what happens too.

Teresa Cypher said...

Hi Ian. I have my fingers crossed for you.

I don't get a lot of traffic on my blog, but I'd be glad to do an author interview with you.

Also, I think Cara Bristol did a blog post on her experience with the different promotion opportunities and sites. It might be a year or so ago. Maybe reach out to her to see if she can send you the link? :-)

Denise Covey said...

Good luck with reaching out Ian. I haunt the facebook group, 20booksto50k and learn so much about marketing, what works and what doesn't. At the moment, I've got little to promote which is why I'm working so hard to get a trilogy completed. Keep us posted.

Botanist said...

Teresa, that would be fantastic, thanks!

Denise, I have a FB account somewhere but it's not a forum I use. I haunt the Critique Circle and Goodreads forums more.

Chrys Fey said...

Good luck with your promotions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...