Saturday, April 30, 2016

Weekend Writing Warriors May 1

Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly blog hop where participants post eight to ten sentences of their writing. You can find out more about it by clicking on the image below.
http://www.wewriwa.com/

Continuing a scene from my current WIP, The Ashes of Home. On a mission under cover, Shayla has stopped to eat at a remote forestry work canteen and appears to have overstepped an unwritten rule. The best food and prime seating is reserved for local Firenzi workers.

=====

“Oh,” Shayla whispered, “so I guess I’m not supposed to take these either.” She helped herself to two plump barbecued chicken breasts and a generous spoonful of locally-grown green beans.

The girl’s eyes widened in fright.

“What happens next, I wonder?”

“The best you can hope is they just take your rations.” The girl nodded towards the front of the room.

“Rations?” Shayla murmured. “There is no rationing on the work crews.”

“Tell that to the Quartermaster,” her companion muttered.

“I think I will.”


=====

20 comments:

stephen Hayes said...

This story keeps moving along.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Yikes, Shayla is definitely up for causing trouble. Great snippet!

Teresa Cypher said...

Haha! Tell him she will, and it might not be with words... Great string of snippets, Ian!

Botanist said...

Stephen, I do try to keep things ticking along at a good pace :)

Jessica, she's not shy. One piece of context that I should probably have mentioned along the way is that she is the governor of this planet (though no-one here will see through her disguise) so she has a personal stake in how well things are running.

Teresa, you guessed it :) Glad you're enjoying this scene.

Kim M said...

I love Shayla's attitude, Ian. And reading your comment above, I expect there will be fireworks ahead.

Linda said...

I wonder if she is really going to get in trouble or if she is going to make so much trouble for them that they will change the rule.

Botanist said...

Kim, fireworks indeed.

Linda, well, the rules are hers to make and change, but trouble seems to find Shayla wherever she goes :)

Anonymous said...

I predict that a fight, or at least a quarrel, may be about to break out. How's that for a safe prediction?

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Oh-oh. I don't see this ending well.

Veronica Scott said...

She's doing a good job of provoking whoever us watching and trying to be in control. Love it! Great snippet.

Botanist said...

Ed, I think your money's safe with that bet :)

Elizabeth, hmmm...define "well"

Veronica, Shayla? Provoke? Nawww....

Unknown said...

TWO chicken breasts? Uh-oh, now it's on!

Cara Bristol said...

Food fight!!! Lol. You've got me hooked. I want to see where this goes.

Unknown said...

It does seem silly to underfeed people who are working for you, and yet so many try. I'm not sure trying with her will get them more than injured!

Sheila said...

I sense a confrontation! Great snippet.

Botanist said...

Christina, why do things by halves?

Cara, the fight is on!

Caitlin, she actually the (undercover) boss, and shocked at what she's seeing.

Sheila, you got it!

Unknown said...

Sounds like she's in trouble. Hope this bold move doesn't hurt her too bad and that she doesn't have too much of a problem discussing rationing with them. Great snippet!

Heather Boyd said...

Ooh I like her so much. Can't wait for her little chat with the quartermaster. :)

Botanist said...

Neva, somehow I don't think she's in trouble.

Heather, "little chat" in Shayla's thinking is usually the non-verbal variety :)

Marcia said...

LOL! Oh boy, I can see something bad in the works! I'm rooting for Shayla, she's my kind of character :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...