Saturday, January 1, 2011

100 words


Here we are in January, typically a time when people announce resolutions or goals for the year, which I am not going to do because I don't believe in resolutions and I regard goals as double-edged swords, great for motivation when used at the right time and for the right reasons, but more often tyrants that turn pleasant tasks into chores, so instead I am posting my entry to Elena Solodow's 100 word blogfest, a sentence based on a key transition in Ghosts of Innocence, where Shayla completes the first part of her journey and embarks on the next.

The Vantist Temple at Hawflun is a revered holy site, a destination for pilgrims from all over the planet, which makes it an ideal place for Shayla Carver, master assassin hell bent on revenge for the destruction of her home world, to murder and assume the identity of a civil servant from the Provinces who is paying her religious devotions before taking up a prominent role in the Imperial hierarchy in the capital city, because the normally stringent Imperial security is unusually inattentive at Hawflun, being corrupt, superstitious, and fearful of upsetting such a powerful body as the Vantist Church.

The rules of the blogfest are to write a single sentence of 100 words (with a 5 word margin). I've done my best to nail the 100 words exactly, and to make it a proper, grammatically correct, sentence. If you're observant, you'll notice that, just for fun, the introductory paragraph is also a 100 word sentence.

Please visit Elena's blog here to see the other entries.

5 comments:

Dan said...

I didn't even realize the intro was 100 words, too. I had trouble with just one sentence.

Dan

Botanist said...

The scary thing is, Dan, that after struggling with one sentence for the blogfest itself, I had to actually cut down the intro to 100 words, it all came so easily!

Elena! What have you unleashed on the world?

Elena Solodow said...

He succeeds at 99 words!

Tana said...

Sounds like fun! And oddly enough I'm sure I've written a 100 word opening sentence before and then some in the MS. Thank God for editing.

Botanist said...

Hmmm...did I mis-count, Elena? I was sure I'd nailed it exactly, but maybe MS Word's word count is off. It can get misled by things like contractions and hyphenations :(

I suspect I've got some whopper run-on sentences in earlier drafts, T.Anne. And I dread to think what made it out the door in some of my technical software specifications in an earlier life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...