Saturday, February 3, 2024

The dog ate my shed

A phone call at work in the middle of the afternoon. “Dad, did you do some work on the shed recently? Like, taking off some of the siding?”

No, I haven’t. Why would I do that? Puzzled, and wondering exactly what had happened at home while we were all out at work and college.

This is what I found.

Planks ripped off, and some excavation either side of the door. The dogs must have been after something, probably a raccoon. Though why anyone would mistake this scene for intentional DIY handiwork beats me. Seems someone has a low opinion of my carpentry skills!

Thankfully it was a dry afternoon today and I still had some offcuts of cedar siding from building the tree fort many years ago. All patched up again ... until the next time!

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looks like the dogs probably got through to whatever they were after. Some big holes.
One of childhood dogs ate a giant hole in the wall behind the couch.

Botanist said...

Alex, I couldn't find any remains so I think whatever it was got away. Hopefully won't visit our yard again. We know there are families of raccoons in the neighborhood so my money is on one of them.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

We had two dogs that used to do this regularly to our back fence, I suppose when they got restless and wanted out. The Bassett hound would dig with his big paws, and the Doberman would pull with his teeth and strong jaws. They were amazingly effective working like this as a team.

Botanist said...

Karen, they've attacked the fence before now, too, though to be fair many of the planks had rotted at the ends making their job easier. I had to renew and reinforce it a couple of years back. This damage was something else altogether.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - how funny ... well a nuisance, but you understand what I mean. I'm glad it wasn't completely dismantled ... raccoons are a nuisance and can get in all over the place. They got into the car port when I was living 'down the road from you' and nearly got into my rooms - I was pleased when it was all blocked up! Cheers - I'm glad you were able to fix it ... cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Hilary, when we first got a dog we were told the doggie smell would deter raccoons from coming near us. I guess it does, mostly, but they still visit on rare occasions.

Pearson Report said...

It must have been something the dogs wanted to deal with, and when dogs have their minds set on catching a four-legged intruder they will deconstruct just about anything.
I'm happy to read you were able to reconstruct your little shed. I hope this finds you enjoying life. :)

Botanist said...

Lovely to hear from you again Jenny. Life has been busy recently, but I'll blog about that when a few more things reach completion. Hope thigs are good with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...