Saturday, June 6, 2020

Get a grip!

This is a hard post to write. I keep coming back to it, wanting to say something, to vent some feelings, but then hesitating because it feels too self-indulgent. This blog is usually focused on externalities, not so much on inner feelings, but these are not normal times.

Simple truth is, I’ve not been doing too good these past few days.

The realization came during the week when one of my team leads talked about their regular team check-in that day. One of the team mentioned having difficulty sleeping. The events in America dragged up memories of personal experience of racial abuse. In talking it through, other members of the team opened up and shared their own stories. It turned out every single one of them, in one way or another, was struggling to process what is going on in the world at the moment, especially in the US.

At the team leads level, we wondered how much more distress was lying hidden beneath the surface among ourselves and our colleagues. In discussing the emotional impact of extraordinary stories, one after another, day after day, I found myself overwhelmed with emotion.

And I realized, I’m not okay.

That feeling of being overwhelmed and helpless persists. It reawakens with every new story of someone somewhere getting hurt or abused. I am fortunate that it’s not affecting my sleep - yet - but I struggle to focus on anything productive during my waking hours, and tears are never far from the surface.

I am struggling with anguish at the scenes of violence, both on the mob and the individual level. I despair at the peaceful protests turning ugly, often through deliberate instigation of people who have no interest in the protestors’ message. And I am brimming over with anger at the attempts by the powerful to bully a population into submission.

The world has gone mad.

Underlying that is a long-held fury at the systemic abuse of power the 1% “haves” wield over the 99% by the open manipulation of levers of power in their favor, whether it’s passing legislation that favors their rich donors, healthcare and other benefits they award themselves while denying others the same, gerrymandering and manipulating election practices to hamper voting by those they don’t want to have a voice, and a host of other dirty tricks.

This is a bubble that has been waiting to burst.

There is no excuse for the many acts we’ve seen the police commit over the past week.

Equally, there is no excuse for rioting and looting.

Then again, there is no excuse for the deeply-entrenched attitude that the color of a person’s skin entitles one person to set themselves above another. That is the real pandemic that bedevils the world.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well said.
I try not to dwell on it, as it would overwhelm and depress me. The world has indeed gone mad. Unfortunately, the news focuses on the negative, further spurring the fear and anger, but there is good happening among all the crazy.

Teresa Cypher said...

Hey Ian. Like so many times, I wish I had a magic wand. Humans are perplexing. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be part of the human race. Then I witness something that bolsters my faith that love is stronger than hate. That there will always be random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty that far outnumber the acts of greed and indifference to the suffering of so many.

There will always be ivory towers. I try not to dwell on it. There's no way to make them go away. The illusion of having control over anything past our own noses is just that: an illusion. All we can control (if we're very good) is our reaction to the insanity around us.

At times like this, when it's all spinning out of control, and it seems like there's way more hate in the world than ever, I choose to control what I can--how I behave to the people who come into my near orbit. With kindness, a helping hand, and a willing heart.

Maybe that's a cop-out, but there's only so much we can do. And I think most of us sitting back witnessing the world disintegrating, feel almost desperate to do something positive, to try to make the world better.

You are such a good person. I'm sending positive thoughts and a big virtual hug.

Botanist said...

Alex, I try not to dwell on it, but when I see it hurting members of my staff I have to take notice.

Teresa, thank you so much. Positive thoughts are most welcome at this time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - I feel for you and for others who are struggling to stay away from the news because of the impact it's having on our lives. As Teresa says ... we need to help ourselves and our loved ones; though challenging for you as you're the team leader. Is there some reference from the company that could offer some context ... eg a forum, or counselling of some form.

Taking care of you, then your family and then reaching out to your staff ... it's challenging though to ignore what's happening - but important we do ... and take care of us ...

All the very best ... I don't write about it ... and I'm grateful I to a point can let life be ... the main thing is me, and those around me, for now ... I need to be strong in the months ahead.

Stay safe and take care - Hilary

Botanist said...

Hilary, simply talking openly about things has helped. Stay safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...