Saturday, April 13, 2019

Self-congratulation

Goodreads is an online forum first and foremost for readers. Readers discuss, swap notes on, and review books they’ve read. The purpose is to inform other readers and to share reading experiences.

Of course, authors hang out there, too. Wherever there’s an audience of readers, there are opportunities for authors to engage and maybe attract new readers.

One of the discussion forums I follow posed a question about authors rating and reviewing their own books. I’ve seen authors do this ... give themselves a five-star rating and a glowing review. At one point, very early on in my time there, I had seen this so often I figured it was seen as an acceptable practice and (briefly) wondered about doing this for my own book (just the one out there at that time).

Then I started thinking how this would come across to a prospective reader.

How does it come across to me?

That stopped me in my tracks, because my gut reaction was that it was sad, tacky, and smacked of desperation. If you have a load of other people’s reviews then you really don’t need to add your own. It serves no purpose in terms of visibility. On the other hand, there’s nothing much sadder than a book with just one review ... from the author. IMO you’re better off with none.

Actually, I take that back. A sadder sight is a five-star review from the author standing out among a clutch of one- and two-star reviews from genuine readers. That says they’re not only desperate, but completely out of touch with reality.

What do you think? What crosses your mind when you see someone rating their own book on a forum meant for readers?

3 comments:

Jean Davis said...

I've seen that too, and yes, I totally agree. It's sad and seems utterly tacky. Promote your work all you can, but leave reviewing to readers.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - I haven't got into GoodReads ... but quite see what you're saying ... and 'cheating' just doesn't do it - and is really stupid. Glad you didn't fall into that hole!! Have a good Easter and hope your weather is improving - cheers Hilary

Botanist said...

Jean, I agree, that's what reviews are meant for.

Hilary, looks like a mixed Easter weekend in store. Hope things are good around your way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...