Saturday, March 24, 2018

Weekend Writing Warriors March 25

Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly blog hop where participants post eight to ten sentences of their writing. You can find out more about it by clicking on the image below.
http://www.wewriwa.com/

Continuing a scene from my first book, Ghosts of Innocence.

Shayla has stolen the identity of a newly-appointed senior public servant, and infiltrated the Palace in disguise. She has previously fallen foul of her new boss, Mabbwendig ap Terlion, Master of the Emperor’s Domestic Household, and is confronting her again in the cavernous staff dining hall. Mabb has been tormenting a series of unfortunate individuals among the hundreds of people crowding the hall, and has just called on a very reluctant member of Shayla’s staff (Tanya) to sing to the crowd. Note: Tanya is from one of the northern fishing provinces, the same ethnicity as Shayla’s adopted identity.

=====

Tanya edged into the center of the hall, one reluctant step after another, each step accompanied by jeers and catcalls.

"Hold!" Shayla stood. With a jerk of her head, she motioned Tanya to sit. "If my staff's talents displease you, I pay this bail from my own purse."

Mabb snarled as Tanya scuttled back to her seat. "Fishlanders swim together, hmm?" Her lips formed a thin line. "We still need entertainment, Master of Circuses."


=====


16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - ooooh is she going to have to tumble about as a clown or worse ... Mabb can dream up horrors pretty quickly I guess - cheers Hilary

Jessica E. Subject said...

Shayla may have saved Tanya, but will she now have to save herself? Nice snippet!

Unknown said...

That was awesome of Shayla, but I have a feeling she just got herself into more trouble.

Botanist said...

Hilary, we'll see. She's not letting Mabb call the shots now.

Jessica, that remains to be seen :)

Christina, that depends on what Shayla has in mind.

Teresa Cypher said...

SO much about this scene works. Shayla shows character!

I LOVE Mabbs' comment about fish swimming together. Nice!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Interesting snippet. I'm curious to know how it will all play out.

Julie said...

Hey, I'd be happy to sing in Tanya's place! Just sayin'. :D Great snippet!

Veronica Scott said...

While I liked Shayla stepping up to help the poor lady, now I'm wondering what awful thing will happen next?! Excellent excerpt and makes me want to keep reading...

Botanist said...

Teresa, I rather liked her comment too :)

Karen, not how Mabb expects, I can tell you that much!

Julie, now where would be the fun in picking on someone who wants to?

Veronica, Shayla has a plan ...

Anonymous said...

Yay for SHayla. Interfering with Mabb's "fun" may have dire consequences, though.

Hywela Lyn said...

Shayla is a good match for Mabb - but I think she needs to be careful, Mabb strikes me as just plain evil!

Botanist said...

Ed, you're right there. In fact I skipped forward a few paragraphs where Shayla reflects on the possible consequences.

Hywela, she does need to be careful, but she also can't afford to be bullied.

Diane Burton said...

I like Shayla's boldness, but Mab is going to be more nasty to her.

Botanist said...

Diane, she might like to be, but she'd not used to people standing up to her!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I enjoy reading the snippets from your book. Makes me remember some of my favorite scenes. (This is right before she does that awesome dance, right?)

I hope posting these snippets is encouraging more people to buy more book. :)

Botanist said...

Susan, yes, you remembered correctly. The dance is coming up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...